Concrete Pool Decking
[concrete_video]Traditional concrete pool decks are offered in a variety of finishes, including stamped concrete, tinted concrete, accent bands, exposed aggregate, complete with edging and expansion joints. As a cost-effective solution for maximizing the beauty and function of the pool deck, a concrete mixture can be poured in a variety of available colors.
Some homeowners choose to use concrete pavers as the pool-decking surface. These precast concrete pavers are offered in a variety of colors, sizes and shapes. They offer flexibility in design and are permeable, and completely resistant to cracking. They are sold in a variety of colors at a very affordable price.
Advantages of a concrete pool deck
There are many beautiful solutions available for creating an aesthetically pleasing design. However, concrete has significant benefits over other available materials. Other than its affordability, it can be designed to fit any budget and layout concern. Because concrete is mixed and poured, it is easily modified to meet the strict requirements of every project.
- Affordable for Any Budget – Concrete is an affordable choice and is available in a huge array of options. It can be installed as a low-cost solution to protect the area around the pool. It can also be used as the ideal material for a multicolored extravagant heavily patterned pool deck, or any design in between.
- Aesthetically Pleasing Designs – Perhaps the greatest advantage to installing concrete is from its ability to mimic other traditional materials including pavers, slate, flagstone, granite and others. It is by far easier to install than natural materials, and is significantly easier to maintain. Concrete no longer needs to be poured as a gray, lifeless surface. It can be easily patterned, colored, stained, painted, imprinted or textured to achieve an appearance that resembles nearly any natural product.
- Eco-Friendly – As an environmentally responsible material, concrete is eco-friendly. The materials are sourced locally, which reduces local pollution, along with lower fuel consumption during transportation. Concrete is formulated with one of the world’s most abundant minerals – limestone. Its durability can make it last for generations. Unlike most other building materials, it does not have the capacity to burn or rust.
- Low Maintenance – While concrete maintenance is a necessity, it is neither time-consuming nor very difficult. Sealing the surface of a concrete pool deck every two years to three years will prevent the possibility of color fading, and continue to help it maintain its waterproof properties.
Sealers and Coatings
When concrete is left untreated, the pool deck is often exposed to the exterior elements that could cause the surface to crack. This is a result of direct exposure to cold, rain, heat and sunshine. In addition, food, suntan oils and spilled beverages can cause staining that can penetrate deep into the surface.
However, applying a quality concrete sealer can waterproof the surface and protect it from chipping and cracking, while avoiding the damaging effects of freeze/thaw cycles in extreme cold climates.
The textures, colors and coatings can transform any home exterior pool deck into a work of art. It can easily create a slip resistant surface that will last for decades.
Additional Pool Deck Information:
- Pool Deck Surfaces & Options
- Outdoor Decorative Concrete Landscape Ideas
- Choosing Stamped Concrete over Pavers
- Pool Deck Maintenance Tips
- Resurfacing an Existing Concrete Pool Deck